In the household goods and services industry? Did you know you have to import your goods and services in compliance with the Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS) regulations? Manufacturers or wholesalers of any article of upholstered furniture bedding, or filling material manufactured outside of the United States for the purpose of sale or resale in California, whether it be through employees or agents, fall within this category.

The Business and Professions Code section 19049 provides that it shall be unlawful for any person to engage in a business regulated by the Home Furnishings Act (Act) unless, at the time of doing so, he or she holds a valid, unexpired license to engage in such business in compliance with the provisions of the Act.

The following is a list of goods and services that fall under the jurisdiction of BHGS. Definitions for each of the terms below may be found in the hyperlinks to each good and service.

Furniture and Bedding WholesalersFurniture and Bedding Retailers
Furniture and Bedding ImportersFurniture and Bedding Manufacturers
Thermal Insulation ManufacturersBedding Sanitizers
Custom UpholsterersHousehold Movers
Supply DealersElectronic Service Dealers
Appliance Service DealersService Contract Administrators
Service Contract SellersService Contract Obligors

In order to obtain a license, importers must complete and submit an application along with the appropriate fee to the Bureau’s licensing division. It is important to note that the Bureau will not accept any Cash payments or wire transfers. You must provide the proper documents and refrain from omitting any information needed to avoid delaying the determination for licensure qualifications. You must also note that every person who is subject to licensure (i.e. if you are on the list above) shall obtain a separate license for each business location, this means that no one license will be valid for more than one business.

Diaz Trade Law can assist you when importing to ensure maximum compliance with laws and regulations, starting with assisting you confirm the agency that regulates your products, and assisting you with any required licenses/permits required to import. If you have questions regarding importing household goods and services, or need assistance with your permit application, contact Diaz Trade Law today.