DTL saved clients MILLIONS of dollars in 2017, below we list a summary of some of our compliance successes! Let us assist you in 2018!
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
- Assisted importers in filing prior disclosures that were accepted by CBP and/or DOC and avoiding substantial penalties.
- Assisted importers in successfully responding to CBP 28’s and 29’s resulting in close outs, and no further enforcement action by CBP!
- Assisted importers in creating and maintaining pre-compliance programs to evaluate intellectual property rights and pre-report merchandise to CBP resulting in expedited entry into the U.S. with no delays or examinations by CBP.
- Assisted importers in getting merchandise on CBP detention expeditiously released saving time and money!
- Assisted numerous importers in numerous seizure cases successfully get their property returned, despite CBP claims merchandise being drug paraphernalia, and counterfeit.
- Successfully assisted importers in keeping manifest data confidential.
- Assisted individuals in getting seized currency returned from CBP:
- $299,000.00 seized and $299,000.00 returned!
- $49,000 seized and $44,000 returned.
- $27,763.00 seized and $26,763.00 returned.
- $11,208.73 seized and $10,708.73 returned.
- $6,500.00 seized, and $3,250.00 returned.
- Successfully mitigated a $36,000.00 in Liquidated Damages claims down to $0!
- Successfully mitigated a $15,000.00 in Liquidated Damages claims down to $150.00!
- Assisted in applying for Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ 281) status for importers/exporters in Miami-Dade.
Expert Witness Services
- Provided “Expert” opinions during the course of numerous litigation cases.
Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)
- Assisted importers in obtaining TTB Importer/Wholesaler permits to import alcoholic beverages, and assisted in obtaining COLAS – Certificates of Label Approvals.
- Counseled clients on the legalities of doing business with Cuba.
Federal Maritime Commission (FMC)
- Assisted clients in successfully applying to the FMC for an Ocean Transportation Intermediary (OTI) license to operate as an Ocean Freight Forwarder and Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier.
Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- Assisted clients in successfully applying to the TSA for an Indirect Air Carrier (IAC) license.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Provided pre-compliance assistance to importers of cosmetics, drugs, and medical devices into the U.S. resulting in expedited entry into the U.S. with no delays or holds by CBP or FDA.
- Assisted numerous importers in registering with the FDA as importers of medical devices.
- Acted as U.S. Agent for numerous overseas manufacturers of food products imported into the U.S.
Customized Training Programs
DTC taught customized training programs including:
- Miami, FL, Miami Free Zone, “FDA FSMA Compliance Seminar for Importers,” Diaz Trade Law, May 18, 2017.
- Miami, FL, Miami Free Zone, “ABC’s of AD/CVD & CBP Enforcement,” Diaz Trade Law, May 10, 2017.
- Customized Full Day Seminar in Sugar Land, Texas, “An Overview of FDA Regulatory Requirements for Medical Devices and Laser Products”, February 2, 2017.
- Las Vegas, NV, MassConversions Live, Customs and Importing, How to Stay on the Right Side of Customs, January 28, 2017
DTL spoke at 28 events in 2017, some highlights included:
- Miami Beach, FL, “Do You Know Your Rights (and Your Clients’ Rights) When Encountering Law Enforcement at Airports and Other Ports of Entry?” AILA Luncheon, November 15, 2017.
- Miami, FL, 35th Minority Enterprise Development Week (MEDWeek), “Success Strategies Seminar: Expanding to Global Markets,” October 19, 2017.
- Fort Lauderdale, FL, FITCE, “Importing into the U.S.,” October 17, 2017.
- IACC seminar Trade and Logistics solutions for Italian SMEs, October 11- 2017 (5:00pm – 7:00 pm)
- Houston, Texas, Advanced Topics in Customs Compliance Conference, “Export Compliance”, Advanced Topics in Customs Compliance Conference, September 22, 2017.
- Santa Clara, CA, Women in International Trade-Northern California (WIT-NC) and Santa Clara Chamber of Commerce (SCCoC), International Business Connection, September 14, 2017.
- Long Beach, CA, NCBFAA NEI GTEC, Tariff Engineering / How to do it Correctly, August 7, 2017
- Fort Lauderdale, FL, “Legal/IPR Issues” SBDC, August 1, 2017.
- Webinar, OWIT International, Moderator: Supply Chain Trends of 2017, July 26, 2017.
- Miami, Florida, Moderator – “The Making of Global Cities: Can Miami Follow a Bold Strategy?”, OWIT-South Florida, June 22, 2017
- Palm Beach Bar, myLawCLE, 31,560 Shipments Seized by CBP in 2016 For ONE Reason: A Primer on IPR Seizures, May 24, 2017
- Miami, FL, Going Global, Miami Dade Office of Economic Development & International Trade, May 9, 2017
- Doral, FL, World Trade Month, Doral Business Counsel, May 9, 2017
- Davie, FL, Broward County Office of Economic Development & International Trade, May 5, 2017
- Miami, FL, Dade County Bar Association, Your Practice, March 29, 2017
- OWIT/Miami Dade College, International Women’s Month, March 7, 2017.
- Webinar, FDANews, “The Reality of Doing Business in Cuba in 2017,” February 9, 2017
DTL had two articles published:
- Co-Author, What is Trump’s 45% tariff on Chinese imports, and how can I avoid it?, FITT, April 24, 2017.
- Co-Author, New trade taxes may be coming – here’s how you could be affected, FITT, March 27, 2017.
DTL would love to be your Customs and International Trade Law Expert! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your consultation or customized training today.